When is a Licensed Contractor required?

A licensed contractor is required whenever construction is done that is $30,000 or more value. The value is based either on a signed contract or our permit valuation, which is $112.65 per square foot of heated space of new residential construction. Re-models are based on contract price or number of inspections trips that will be required. For commercial projects, talk to our commercial plan reviewer. These rules are made by the NC Licensing Board, and we have no control over them. You may contact the Licensing Board for further information at 919-571-4183.

Show All Answers

1. What do I need to get a Building Permit? What size plans do I have to submit? Do I need an architect or engineer?
2. When is a Licensed Contractor required?
3. Do I need an architect to draw my plans?
4. Do I need a permit for a residential storage building?
5. When is a remodeling permit required?
6. How big of a building can I put on this lot? How much of my lot can I cover with buildings? What type of business is allowed on this property? How close to my lot line can I build?
7. Can I get a Farm Exemption?
8. Does Gaston County have Code books for sale?
9. If I make changes on my approved plans, do I need to bring them back to plan review?
10. What's the difference between a modular home and a mobile home?
11. When do I need a permit from the Health Department?
12. What is the status of my plan I submitted?
13. I was turned down on my inspection, who can I talk to about it?
14. What's my building permit going to cost?
15. Who do I contact about asbestos or lead paint?
16. Who do I talk to about site grading, soil erosion, water quality, wetlands, stream run-off, etc.?
17. What are helpful hints for permitting electronically with Gaston County?