In 1946, Gaston County Veterans Services Office (VSO) was developed to assist veterans and their families with the preparation and presentation of claims for all benefits to which they are entitled under Federal, State, and local law. The VSO now assists members of the Gaston County veteran community with a variety of matters, including (but not limited to):
- North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs State Scholarships: Applications are made for these scholarships. Documents used to substantiate and complete the applications include birth certificates, a copy of discharge and scholastic report.
- Hospitalization: Complete application forms, make long-distance call directly to VA hospitals, and assist persons with any inquiries regarding non-receipt of proper dividend payments about government insurance programs, such as Champ VA and Champus.
- Travel to VA Medical Appointments: The VSO arranges for Gaston County ACCESS buses to provide transportation for veterans (and, in some cases, their caregivers) to the VA Medical Center in Salisbury and the VA Outpatient clinic in Charlotte.
- GI Home Loans: Assist with completion of necessary forms which are required to determine eligibility, answer questions and give advice on loans.
- Compensation and Pension Claims: Complete forms for applicants, assist in securing necessary documents to go with forms, explain and give advice.
- Insurance: Applications are completed for several different types of government life insurance and beneficiary designations. Assistance is also provided to veterans in determining their insurance needs.
- Educational Assistance: Complete necessary forms for veterans, give advice and information; assist spouses, surviving spouses, and children of veterans who may be eligible for these benefits.
- Appeals: Many VA decisions are not favorable to veterans and other claimants. The VSO advises and assists claimants through the progressive stages of the VA appeal process.
- Review of Discharge and Record Correction: Some veterans receive less-than-honorable discharges that negatively impact their eligibility for services and benefits. The VSO assists those veterans in applying to have those discharges upgraded, and also assists veterans who are seeking to have their military records corrected.
- Other Activities: Assist veterans in obtaining license plates, wheelchairs and other prostheses; hunting and fishing license for severely disabled; clothing allowances; and special inquiries about non-receipt of checks, and incorrect addresses.
All services provided by the VSO are free to veterans and the members of their families.
Notice Re: Status of VSO
Following several months of renovation work, the Gaston County Veterans Services Office will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, September 20 at 1 p.m., at its office at 965 Roberts Drive, in Gastonia.
ACCESS Transportation: ACCESS bus/van transportation to VA medical appointments is available. Veterans who need transportation to medical appointments at the three (3) VA health care facilities in this area (VA Medical Center, Salisbury; VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Charlotte; and the VA Health Care Center, Charlotte) can contact our office to make arrangements for free, door-to-door transportation.
Please Note: ACCESS needs to receive transportation requests at least eight (8) business days in advance for transportation to the two (2) Charlotte facilities and for transportation to VAMC Salisbury.