Demographics or demographic data are the characteristics of a human population. These types of data are used widely in sociology, public policy, and marketing. Commonly used demographics include gender, race, age, income, disabilities, mobility (in terms of travel time to work or number of vehicles available), educational attainment, home ownership, employment status, and even location. Demographic trends describe the changes in demographics in a population over time (for example, the average age of a population may increase or decrease over time). Both distributions and trends of values within a demographic variable are of interest.
Demographic Resource Websites
American Fact Finder
Source for population, housing, economic and geographic data from Census 2000, the 1990 Decennial Census, the 1997 and 2002
Provides US census data and comparisons with neighboring areas by zip code.
Demographic and Health Survey
Provides free data produced by Health surveys, provides a map component also GIS datasets and documentation.
NC One Map
Provides geospatial data for download or to be viewed through the NCOne Map viewer. The information and data provided is Federal, State and Local government data. Click on any of the centers to view their sites.
Demographics - Statistics
For more detailed statistics, click the county, state or municipal name.
|Municipal Jurisdictions in Gaston County|
|South Point Township||40,484||62.21||39,818.46|
|Neighboring Counties and State Populations|
|United States||308,745,538 - As of April 1, 2010|
Demographic – National Data Centers
National Data Centers – A data center (sometimes called datacenter) is a centralized repository, either physical or virtual for the storage, management, and dissemination of data and information organized around a particular body of knowledge or pertaining to a particular business. The following is a list of Data Centers with statistical data on demographics, while some may sound similar each site is unique in the way the data can be provided, searched and geographically presented.
- U.S. Census Bureau Collection of data on People, Business and Geography
- American Fact Finder The American Community Survey, Economic Census and Population Estimates Program
- Fact Finder 2 Providing data and information on the 2010 Census Program
- Fed Stats Provides easy access to statistics and information produced by more than 100 U.S. Federal Government Agencies
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Principal fact-finding agency for the Federal Government in the broad field of labor economics
- Bureau of Economic Analysis Source of U.S. economic statistics including national income, gross domestic products, consumer spending and industry
- Population Reference Bureau Information and statistics on population, health and the environment
- School District Demographics System Provides access to school district demographics and related geographical data for social characteristics and economics of children and school districts
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention An alphabetical listing of statistics on topics of public health importance
Demographic – State Data Centers
- N.C. Office of State Budget and Management Revenue regulatory analysis, financial and population reports, economic analysis and state data center
- Log Into North Carolina Statistical data, historical data and projections from state and federal agencies
- NC Economic Development Intelligence System Search building site properties statewide and create site specific demographic reports of those properties
- NC One Map Provides geospatial data for download or to be viewed through the NC One Map viewer. The information and data provided is Federal, State and Local government data.
- Census Finder North Carolina Provides access to all available historical census records from 1784
- City-Data North Carolina Source of information for North Carolina cities with population, graphs and other resources
- North Carolina Economic Development A directory of websites with information on site selections, locations for industrial or commercial sites, buildings, offices and retail