TITLE: HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Position #SW0012)
LOCATION: Gaston County Landfill
Philadelphia Church Road, Dallas, N. C. 28034
PAY SCALE: $13.2263-$20.5017 per hour (Non Exempt - Eligible for overtime)
APPOINTMENT: Full Time
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (NOTE: The duties listed below are not inclusive of all of the duties that may be assigned to the position but are considered as essential to the nature of the job).
- Operates bull dozers, pans, graders, front end loaders, and heavy duty dump trucks; excavates and moves dirt and debris according to defined procedure.
- Operates trash compactor in the compacting of garbage and general refuse within a sanitary landfill.
- Performs visual inspections of equipment and performs routine maintenance of equipment.
- Reports the presence of unsafe working conditions or hazardous materials.
- Installs fencing and cuts trees and brush.
- Provides general information to the public.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Eighteen years of age; completion of eighth grade or equivalent providing proof of ability to read, write, understand, and follow oral and/or written instructions AND a minimum of two and a half (21/2) years of experience in the actual operation of a variety of specialized heavy duty equipment. (Trainee requires completion of eighth grade and eighteen months experience in operation of one or more pieces of specialized heavy duty equipment).
MINIMUM PHYSICAL OR ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
Daily involvement with work that involves a chance of major injury or loss of life or prolonged exposure to hazardous working conditions or severe weather conditions. Exposure to unfavorable health or safety conditions is constantly present. Must be able to work varying work schedules between 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday, and some Saturdays as scheduled. . The candidate selected must undergo a criminal background check and pass a drug screening test prior to employment.
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: January 22, 2013 CLOSING DATE: February 4, 2013